Saturday, December 29, 2007

Yeah, We Got Lucky

November 10th, 2007

As I enter the office for a meeting, the receptionist behind the counter stands. She stands for no other reason than to afford me respect and shake my hand as I'm welcomed.

Receptionists are usually friendly and professional as they answer the phone and announce the arrival of yet another visitor. But I've never experienced one standing to honor my presence. I take note!

As my meeting with the firm's CEO proceeds, I explain how demonstrating a brand is more important than talking about a brand.
"How is branding different from marketing and sales? What do you mean by Brand Ownership? Don't quality products and hard work speak for themselves?" - all common first-time questions from prospective clients.

As our meeting progresses during lunch I explain how strong brands must be both different and relevant. Midway through our meal, the CEO asks, "You've been to our office. Did you notice anything different and relevant about us?"

I told them of my experience of being greeted by their receptionist and how important it made me feel.
The CEO was not surprised - he receives raving comments about his receptionist all the time. He did admit her actions were not an intentional part of living out their company's brand – she just has good instincts and knows people. Lucky for him he hired well.

The receptionist's actions were even more relevant in this case since she worked for an outplacement firm. Chances are when a person walks through their doors it's someone who's just lost their job and a lot of their sense of value.
Creating a remarkable and relevant brand experience is sometimes as simple as remembering what it feels like to be a customer, then designing different and relevant actions around what you remember.
You can't always bet on hiring a very perceptive receptionist!

Quoted from ownyourbrand.com

No comments: